*Start cooking the adzuki beans first.
Prep Time: 1 day to soak beans, 5 minutes to prep vegetables
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 cup dry adzuki beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
8 cups water
1 3-inch piece of kombu
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon umeboshi vinegar
optional: you may substitute lemon juice and sea salt for the umeboshi vinegar
1. Discard soaking water and rinse adzuki beans.
2. Add beans to large pot with kombu and 8 cups water.
3. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes.
4. Add carrots and cook 10 more minutes, until tender.
5. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add herbs and umeboshi vinegar. Cook until onions
are soft and translucent. Add to the simmering soup.
6. Season soup to taste.